This is part 2 in my series about my weight loss journey. To read Part 1 (my story), click here
Who doesn’t love food? It tastes great and fills us up whether it is a bag of chips or that daily piece of chocolate.
However, it didn’t take me long to discover the dark side of food: overeating and eventually being overweight. I couldn’t control myself around all the bad foods and drank soda without a second thought. If it was there, I would eat it or drink it. It was only a small, temporary comfort. No amount of food could erase the real problem.
Today, I wanted to a few tips on how I changed my eating habits and how it has made me feel so much better. 🙂
- Everything in moderation!! I can’t stress enough how important it is to eat only in moderation. Do not eat when you are bored, do not eat when you feel miserable. Try to eat small meals throughout the day to keep yourself from feeling hungry. Personally, I eat every three hours. It is just enough to keep to keep me filled up until the next meal.
- Drink plenty of water. If you are one of those people who can’t get enough of soda or other sugary drinks, replace it with water. Always have water on hand because it prevents dehydration and gives you more energy throughout the day.
- It’s OK to eat a little bad foods once in a while. You might think this contradicts everything else I said, but it really is ok to have a little bit once in a while. Every Sunday, I let myself have a little bit of chocolate or ice cream in moderation. Just a little. Don’t indulge on it. You wouldn’t want to undo all the progress you have been making. This way, it will be just enough to prevent you from craving sweets, but not too much.
- Always eat breakfast. I hear so many stories of people who give themselves just enough time to wake up and get ready only to rush out the door and go to work without eating breakfast. If you do this, cut it out. Personally, I can’t function at all if I don’t eat breakfast. Give yourself a little extra time to wake up and eat. Make yourself a healthy omelet. Or just eat a quick bowl of cereal. You will feel so much more rejuvenated and ready to take on the day.
- Get creative! At first, I didn’t like the sound of eating healthy. I much preferred the taste of chocolate to the taste of fruits or vegetables. Eating healthy tastes great if you get creative and try a few recipes out. Instead of spaghetti and sauce, try adding some squash to it. Try dipping some apple slices in peanut butter. Or my personal favorite, try making some fruit smoothies. They taste great and keep you full. Don’t be afraid to experiment with healthy eating, but stay away from adding fat and sugar! Eating healthy doesn’t have to be a miserable experience.
I hope these tips are helpful to anyone trying to establish better eating habits. I wish you all the best of luck in your own journeys!